Main Street Kitchen

SANDWICHES, BURGERS, BREAKFAST, CATERING AND MORE!

Main Street Kitchen is a full service sandwich and catering shop offering great fresh food with free delivery.  Located at 120 E. Main St. Stoughton, WI

Location

Main Street Kitchen is located at:
120 E. Main St
Stoughton, WI 53589

Phone: 608-873-5113

 

BUILDING HISTORY

Main Street Kitchen is in the Brickson Building located at 120 E. Main Street. The building was built in 1882 and has brick exterior walls with a plaster wall down the between 120 and 130 E. Main Street. When built, the building used a unique way of attaching the plaster to the brick wall. There are wood slats running horizontally in the brick to attach the vertical strips that held the lath and plaster. The Building also has a beautiful pressed tin ceiling that was

1883 Bird's Eye View of Stoughton. The building in the box is 120 E. Main St.
 

hidden above a drop ceiling for decades. We were able to find our building in the 1883 Bird's Eye View of Stoughton and placed it in the inset to the left.

The map to the right is a Sanborn Fire Insurance Map from 1884 and shows that the building was a furnature store with a talor shop also sharing space. The map map also shows that our addition was not built prior to the creation of the fire map. Using this map and the 1883 drawing you can see that the building that includes McGlynn Pharmacy was built between the two documents.

1884 Sanborn Fire Insurance Map
 

The 1898 Sanborn Fire Insurance Map to the right shows that the use of the building changed from a furniture store to a carpet store and shows an addition to 130 E. Main.

1904 Sanborn Fire Insurance Map

The 1904 Sanborn Map to the Left shows the addition to the rear of our building and was used as a different store in conjunction with 130 E. Main Street. It is indicated in the 1912 Sanborn map below that that the ownership of the one building including both 120 and 130 E. Main Street was split as there is now a dotted line down the middle of the addition and that the use of the building had now shifted from carpet and became a Clothing Store.

1898 Sanborn Fire Insurance Map

The neighboring buildings also had interesting transformations throughout the time of the maps that we were able to find. In the 1912 Map the building located at 110 E. Main Street was a moving picture facility and the building that now contains McGlynn Pharmacy was a barber shop and drug store. The rear portion of the same building was a tin shop in the map.

In the 1970s the Stoughton Landmarks Commission filed and had approved the Downtown Historic District for State and National Landmark designation. In the document that was submitted it showed our building was used for clothing sales as The Stoughton Store.

1912 Sanborn Insurance Map

National Register of Historic Places Inventory - Nomination Form

 

Here are two pictures that were submitted with the documentation for the National Designation. They are from two different time periods and show two different stores at 130 E. Main.

- Information compiled by Derek Westby